American Foundation for the Blind Scholarships
Scholarship title: American Foundation for the Blind Scholarships
Applicable Majors: All Fields of Study
The American Foundation for the Blind administers a scholarship program for deserving students. Each year individuals who are blind or visually impaired can apply for financial awards to support their post-secondary education.
- Completed scholarship application form for 2007. Online applications are preferred.
- An essay: a typewritten statement of no more than three double-spaced pages which must include the field of study you are pursuing and why you have chosen it, your educational and personal goals, your work experience (if applicable), extracurricular activities, and a statement about how the scholarship award will be used. (The essay must be in an electronic format and must be sent either by e-mail to email@example.com or by postal mail on a CD or diskette. E-mail is highly preferred)
- Official transcript(s): an official original transcript from the school you are presently attending and most recently attended. Undergraduates should include undergraduate and high school transcript(s); graduate students should include graduate and undergraduate transcript(s). High school students should submit high school transcripts only.
- Proof of post-secondary acceptance: a letter or documentation from a college or university admissions office establishing that you have been accepted to post-secondary studies in an accredited program.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation: letters from academic advisors, teachers, or rehabilitation counselors
- Proof of legal blindness: a statement prepared by an ophthalmologist or optometrist certifying that you are legally blind (i.e., have a best corrected visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye, and/or a visual field of less than 20 degrees in the better eye).
- Official letter from a state or private agency for the blind, certifying that you are legally blind.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship: only the following items will be accepted -- a photocopy of a birth certificate, naturalization papers, or a U.S. passport. Exception: U.S. citizenship is not required for the Ferdinand Torres Scholarship.
- Economic Need (if applicable): In order to be eligible for scholarships requiring proof of economic need, a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form must be submitted.
Please visit the sponsor's Web site for additional information and entry requirements.
Apply on their site